Driver’s Licence Requirements for Repair Facilities

What do you need to move vehicles that typically require specialized licenses beyond the traditional Class 5?

Interpreting insurance coverage is challenging at times, not only for the person who wants to ensure that they are appropriately covered, but also for the insurance staff attempting to interpret the application of coverage. Today, we will explore license requirements to move vehicles typically requiring specialized licenses beyond the traditional Class 5.

A Class 4 (restricted) drivers license is required to:

  • Drive taxis and limousines (up to 10 persons, including the driver)
  • Drive for a ride-hailing service such as Uber or Lyft
  • Drive ambulances
  • Drive special vehicles with a seating capacity of not more than 10 persons (including the driver) used to transport people with disabilities
  • Drive any vehicle in Class 5

So what happens when a repair facility needs to move or test drive a vehicle that requires a Class 4 license to operate?

Recently an insurance company commercial claims adjuster informed a member that if staff were driving a Class 4 designated vehicle, even if transporting it in and out of the shop, any damage could be denied if that employee did not have a Class 4 license.  Obviously, this could be problematic for many industries including collision, glass, and mechanical, who regularly need to move customer vehicles or perform road tests as part of the repair or recalibration of systems.

The ARA reached out to ICBC, Driver License Policy Standards and Governance, to get clarification on coverage. Here is what they had to say:

In terms of a driver’s license, vehicles such as taxis, minivans, and buses only require a Class 2 or 4 license when they are being used for public transportation or for hire.  At all other times they are Class 5 and 7 vehicles as long as they do not have more than two axles. Only a Class 5 or 7 driver’s license is required. (Note; Class 7 has graduated licensing restrictions)

Therefore, a Class 5 license allows you to:

  • Drive cars, vans, trucks, construction, utility vehicles (2 axles maximum), and motorhomes (may exceed 2 axles)
  • Tow trailers or vehicles up to 4,600 kg
  • Ride a limited speed motorcycle or an all-terrain vehicle (ATV)
  • Ride 3-wheeled vehicles, but this does not include 3-wheeled motorcycles (trikes), or motorcycle/sidecar combinations

Note that Class 1 (heavy trailer), Class 3 (three axle) vehicles, and motorcycles are different and would require the appropriate class of license to operate on public roads. An air brake endorsement or a heavy mechanic certificate is also require to operate any class of vehicle equipped with air brakes.

For your information, below is where you can find the appropriate legislation and regulation that define what is considered a taxi, bus, and public transportation.  You can also find the license requirements based on the type of vehicle.