Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) announces three updates to the apprenticeship funding incentives announced in the fall.
What Is New
- the deadline for registration is extended to September 30, 2023
- apprentices in the Automotive Refinisher Technician apprenticeship are eligible to receive funding as part of this initiative
- apprentices and/or repair facilities are eligible to receive funding if they have registered in the program during the intake period and completed any level of certification training between October 1, 2022 and September 30, 2028, so long as they meet all the eligibility requirements below.
The apprenticeship funding incentives are designed to develop skills and talents of British Columbians looking for a fulfilling career in the collision repair industry.
ICBC is offering the apprenticeship incentives for a limited period to see if the incentives increase attraction and retention of skilled labour in the collision repair industry. The changes mean more technicians are eligible for funding assistance, potentially building further capacity in the industry for the long term.
What’s available: Financial assistance for apprentices and repair facilities
Auto Body and Collision Technician apprentices, Automotive Refinisher Technician apprentices, and ICBC repair facilities that employ them, are eligible for:
- A one-time, $1,500 tool grant for eligible apprentices upon successful completion of Level 1 to help offset the initial cost of trade tools.
- Compensation for ICBC collision repair facilities that employ eligible apprentices – $1,000 for each training level completed by an apprentice. This could mean up to $4,000 per apprentice, if they complete any of their four training levels between October 1, 2022 – September 30, 2028.
- For example, if the registered apprentice was in level three as of October 1, 2022, and completes their training before September 30, 2028, the repair facility is eligible for $2000 for completion of both level three and level four ($1000 each level).
- Any apprentice (new or existing) enrolled in the Auto Body and Collision or Automotive Refinisher Technician apprenticeship, registered with SkilledTradesBC (formerly the Industry Training Authority), employed at an ICBC Collision Repair Program facility, and who are listed in Entegral between October 1, 2022 and September 30, 2023.
How to Apply for Incentives
- To be eligible for funding, repair facilities will need to take the following steps when a new apprentice is hired or when an existing apprentice completes a training level:
- Upload an apprentice registration or transcript of training level completion in Entegral
- Notify ICBC of new apprentice or training level completion by emailing email@example.com
- ICBC will validate the information and issue payment by cheque to either the apprentice and/or repair facility, whichever is applicable.
Questions? Join for a Webinar or Call
ICBC will be hosting two virtual sessions to help answer your questions. Participation is voluntary, but we encourage you to attend the session that best fits your schedule. Please note, apprenticeships will be one topic on the agenda for this meeting. Details on other topics will be shared shortly.
- Apr 19, 2023 9:00 am
- Use this link to join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83486582486?pwd=SE5VNlBITFlzMTR3dG9lNHZoZTR6dz09
- Meeting ID: 834 8658 2486 /Passcode: 492911
- Apr 20, 2023 02:00 pm
- Use this link to join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86432111389?pwd=U1lBWTg3TTUrOEkrZ3gydm1VQm01dz09
Meeting ID: 864 3211 1389 / Passcode: 517186
Sessions will be archived on the ICBC partners page for reference after the webinar.