Toyota Hybrid Battery Takeback Program

The Automotive Retailers Association (ARA) wishes to thank all the auto recyclers who participated in the recent Toyota EV battery survey. The results of the survey have been forwarded to Toyota Canada as they consider improvements to their hybrid vehicle battery take-back program.

The survey was sent out to all registered recyclers in B.C. with a total of 15 vehicle dismantlers responding to the survey. This represents 10% of registered recyclers but over 30% of all vehicle dismantlers that actively sell parts in the ICBC claims system. Below is short summary of the survey:

Are you having trouble disposing of Toyota hybrid batteries and/or having trouble finding another market or recycling?

Yes – 33.33%

No – 66.67%

One third of dismantlers report having trouble disposing of their batteries. This is likely due to older battery chemistries such as nickel-metal hydride, or because the dismantler is not aware of any take-back programs.

Are you aware of the Toyota Hybrid EV Battery take-back program?

Yes – 13.33%

No – 86.67%

Surprisingly, not many recyclers are aware that Toyota operates a battery take-back program for their nickel-metal or lithium-ion hybrid batteries. Toyota has an agreement with Retrieve Technologies to manage their end-of-life batteries, so your first course of action would be to contact them. However, if they are unable to collect the battery, they can arrange to take the battery to any Toyota dealership.

How many Toyota Hybrid batteries have you disposed of in the past year?

  • Batteries reported – 20
  • Nickel metal hydride (NIMH) batteries – 19
  • Lithium-ion batteries (LIB) – 1

Of all the reported Toyota batteries purchased where did these batteries end up?

  • 5 were sold to private individuals.
  • 20 were sold to repair facilities.
  • 8 were sent to a recycling facility.
  • A reported 16 are still in storage.

Have you purchased any Toyota hybrid vehicles in the past year? If so, how many?

The total reported number of Toyota Prius HEVs purchased by the 15 respondents was 52. The average purchase for 14 of the 15 recyclers was only two, with one vehicle dismantler having purchased 23 in the last year.

According to ICBC salvage data, we can see who is buying what, as well as where these units are going, which is useful for tracking purposes.

Average annual ICBC salvage sales of Toyota Prius hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) are approximately 300 units per year over the last two years.  Roughly 25% (or 75 lots) were sold to rebuilders. Very likely, many of these are sold to the taxi industry or exported outside the country.  The other 75% (or roughly 225 lots) were sold to licensed recyclers as dismantled only (DPO) or fall under the recycled vehicle program (RVP). Of those vehicles designated DPO status or sold under the RVP, Schnitzers Steel accounts for 55% of these purchases.

Thank you to all those who took part in the survey. The data was forwarded to Toyota Canada to help them in their determination to make any changes to their existing program. The information is also useful to the ARA as we continue to engage with government and stakeholders on issues involving the end-of-life management of electric vehicle batteries.

Is your recycling facility ready to handle end-of-life electric vehicles?